Wednesday, January 18, 2012

There Has to Be a Better Way

As the High School basketball season comes to it's final buzzer next month. I starting thinking about a few stories that my players shared with me this season. The off-season training without a follow-up in-season workout regiment. Learning to play a 1-3-1 zone before they were taught man principles.

I love what I do. As a skill development coach, I am always looking for better ways to help my players on and off the court. I have the chance to reach and teach young athletes the game of basketball and life. Basketball is very similar to life, you have to make choices , practice your skill sets, get a long with people. My belief is this. If you cut corners on the court you will probably do the same off the court in life.

Off-Season & In-season Training

Why does the basketball season start the same way? For some teams that means weights, conditioning, and ploymetrics. A better question might be why does this type of training completely stop when the season gets into full swing. Call me weird but the little gains an athlete might see are lost once he stops training. Alan Stein from Stronger Team talks about having a complete Off-Season & In-Season training routine. "Don't do something in the off-season that you wouldn't do during the season".(Alan Stein)

There has to be a better way.

I have found that some athletes can not last an hour season with me because they are not in "Basketball Shape". Being in shape and being in "Basketball Shape" are two different worlds. How do you start a season without being in the best shape of your life? Let alone finish a season that way. Some coaches tell me that they refuse to run their players because they fear an injury. Well don't get upset when Pressview H.S runs a full-court press the whole game and your team runs out of steam.

Let your players know what is expected of them as a team ahead of time. At the end of the season meeting this year. Players we had a great year, this is what is expect of you in the off-season. Each player should be given a weight & plyometric program , and skill development program.

If you want another shot at the state title, I expect you to be in the best shape of your life, shoot 10,000 MAKES (game shots, from game spots, at game speed), Master your passing, ball handling & footwork. Lastly, I need you to be a "Student of the Game". That means you should read coaching books and watch videos by Coach K, Bob Knight, and Rick Patino.


1-3-1 Zone

Why in the world would you teach any "Zone Defense" during the first few weeks of Middle School practice. The answer is simple. It's the easy way out and you "THINK" it might help you in the short term. Are we really teaching our players to take the easy way out? Does it really help the athlete in the long-term? I can not begin to tell you how many HS & MS games I have attended only to see the same thing.

First no communication, "Back Door", "Watch the Cutter", "14 is a shooter", "Screen Right & Left", and "Stop the Ball". Secondly how did your 2-3 zone start at the low blocks and move up to the free throw line. If I saw it from the stands you can bet your paycheck the other team did too. Players the basketball court is the classroom where we expect you to talk. Why don't we figure out ways to promote communication during our offensive & defense drills. I have a standing joke about communication on the court. It goes like this. John, Why didn't you tell Bunker that a screen was coming. "I sent him a text message, LOL..:)".

There has to be a better way to prevent this from happening.

In your face man to man defense should be taught first. This principle can produce an effective zone and further the players skill development. Dick DeVenzio talks about taking away 2 of the 3 options and battling for the last option. For example take away a players jump-shot and pass and battle him for a drive with his non-dominate hand.

Like you I am optimistic maybe our message might reach one or two players and the rest will follow them. Believe me I know how hard it is to motivate and get players to work on there game. Half of them don't even watch NCAA basketball. In the end that is why we do this, right! WE love to reach young men/woman and help them see their full potential.

I am always interested in your feedback let me know how you feel. There has to be a better way.


BackCourt Basketball Academy - Training for the rest of us!

No comments: