Tuesday, November 30, 2010

5 Reasons Why You Got Cut From The AAU Basketball Team

I was talking to an athlete last week about his basketball tryout for a local College team. This will be his second attempt to make the team. Great opportunity for this young ball player, IF he worked on his game since the previous tryout.

The names have been changed to protect the innocent. I always wanted to say that. Lets take a look at some areas where this athlete needs to improve on.

1) Moving Without The Ball


This athlete just happens to be a good spot up shooter. Meaning, he only gets shot opportunities if he is wide opened & if gets that ball on the break. What does he do when he is not wide opened and doesn't get the ball on a break?

Try Cutting: (this does not mean walking - You better Run, Sprint, Get there NOW)
L Cut
Walk to Run
Fake 1 way & go the other way
Back Side Cut

How do you expect the other players to feed you the ball when the defense is all over you? Without the skill of cutting you are not going to get opened shots & closeout opportunities. Basically you are leaving points on the table. When you do get a shot off, it is because the defense is AWFUL or it's just plain LUCK. I don't know about you but I would not put much stock in luck & chance.


2) Non-Dominate Hand

This is common with a lot of players who step on the court. Michael Jordan said "You have to be good from your left side to your right side". You shouldn't have a weak hand. Does that mean I have to practice my left hand? Are you kidding me. YES!!

Two Ball Drills are the best solution to making your weak hand stronger.

2 Ball Drills
Same
Alternate
High/Low
Crossovers

Do these drills until you master them. If you really want a challenge, try to do the 2 Ball Drills with your eyes closed.


3) Suspect Passing Skills

This is one of my favorite skills to work on. Unfortunately it a skill that several players fail to master. How can I put you in a game when you keep giving the ball to the other team? Turnovers will lose a game for you and prevent you from getting quality shots up. How do you work on passing?

Find a wall first of all.

Passes to Master:
Chest Pass
1 Handed Chest Pass (left & Right)
Bounce Pass
1 Handed Bounce Pass (left & right)
Over Head Pass
Behind the Back Pass to mix it up.

I normally do each drill for 30 seconds or 30 repetitions. Do them until you become an expert. If you really want a challenge practice these passing drills on the move.


4) Lack of Leadership

Have you ever been to a basketball game and thought you went to the library by mistake. I don't get it. How do I know what you are doing on the court if you don't talk to me, and how can I help you if I am Silent Mike. I have ESPN will that help me.

Some coaches have drills & training programs set up to teach better on court communication. Wow, being able to talk and communicate is a LIFE skill that you can use off the court, too.

Know this:
What did we do as a team the last possession. example (turnover, quick 3-pointer, went left or right)
Time & Score.
How can I get my team-mates better.
Know your purpose. (What does my coach want me to do?)


5) Matador Defense

They say the best way to a coach's heart is DEFENSE. Defense wins championships. We have all heard these one liners before. It is to your advantage to become a defensive stopper. Who wants to be labeled as the Weakest link on defense?

Practice:
Guarding a player full court
Work on your defense in the post areas (High, Mid, Low)
1 Pass away Denial, 2 passes away put your hand or foot in the lane.
Master seeing your man & the ball at the same time.
Defensive slides( lateral quickness )

Your attitude is everything. Action does not equal success if it does not have a purpose. You can go out to the gym, blacktop, rec-center and practice until the cows come home. Moo! I just don't see you getting any better if you don't practice at game speed, have goals , and become a student of the game.

A question that I receive from players is "How can they can get better?"

I find out what SPECIFIC GOALS this athlete has, and what are they doing NOW to get there. Yes, I know you sit down and play NBA 2K11 but how is that helping with your ball handling? REALLY!  It takes hard work, passion, faith, and persistence to make it to the next level. I would suggest picking up a DVD called How to Survive & Thrive as an Undersized, by Ganon Baker


If winning was easy. Everyone would be doing it.


I am always looking for ways to make this blog a Basketball source of information.  If you have any ideas please share them with our community by posting your comment.


What else can cause a player to get cut from the hoop team?

11 comments:

Unknown said...

I never got cut but I definitely didn't reach my potential. I "thought" I worked hard but really all I was doing was relying on my talent. Once I hit my junior year - my talent ran out. Skill, speed, and strength took over and I never advanced. Sure, I got a little bit stronger and I improved a little bit but a little isn't enough when everybody is gunning for your spot. Looking back I should have worked harder and much earlier. I am 25 and just figuring out what it takes in the weight room. I should have learned in HS. It's not fun looking back thinking "shoulda - coulda."

Unknown said...

Anthony...

Thank you for taking the time to post..Look at it this way..You are only 25, right? Think about all the young athletes that you can help NOW with your story and knowledge.

Robert said...

Awesome article! I know this blog is for basketball but the principles of this article are true for every sport.

I work with MMA fighters and I see the lack of drive and discipline to get to the next level in a ton of guys throughout the gym...then I see the guys who are excelling and who are at the top of the sport and the difference in the work they put into their training is incredible.

It all comes down to desire! Do you desire to be the best?

I appreciate the drills you gave as examples to help in each area. Now everyone just needs to apply them to their training.

Thanks again for the info!

Unknown said...

Coach,

Thank you for your post..

I like your quote. It all comes down to desire! Do you desire to be the best or not?

I can't imagine stepping onto the Octagon or Basketball court without desire.

Unknown said...

Just added new photos from the #C&G #Bulls training #clinic......http://bcbacademy.com/basketball-training-programs/recent-photos/

Unknown said...

This is some great information.It really makes it clear to why I didn't make the team this year and it gives me an insight on how to fix my game for next year. Loss of desire is definitely not an issue for me, but those other four points are far from excellent for me.Thanks for giving me the heads up on this real good article. Hopefully all the practice I put in will up my skill enough to make the team next year!

Anonymous said...

I always made the team and it was because I did those 5 things for sure. I may have sat the bench most of the time, but I made the team!!!

-DJT$

Al said...

Great post coach! I hope the young ballers are paying attention!

Matty Jewers said...

Coach White is speaking from experience. I went to college with him. He constantly worked on his game to make the team, then becoming a key player on a Final Four team. What sets Coach apart is his experience with all these drills. Coach did them and then some before and even after making name for himself. He believed in no down time and 100% effort. I witnessed many times late in games through his hard work, he was able to elevate HIS game while others were gassed. I think that any reason or coaching from Coach White would be like gold to any young player!!

Anonymous said...

Thanks Coach Dan for all you do with our son Aaron . He has been playing ball for several years and since starting with you we have only seen improvements . He didn't make his high school team , but the skills , drills , and technigues that you have shown him have improve his game in competition basketball . If Aaron uses what coach Dan shows him he has the potential to really be a dominent basketball player. Thanks once again for all you do with him .

Anonymous said...

Coach Dan thanks for coming out and traing our C & G Bulls Boys Competitive Travel Basketball Team . The boys are getting some great information and a heck of a workout and the parents are really enjoying it . It is great to have a extra hand with teaching the players . As coachs we appreciate all the extra information we can get to help improve our players . Looking forward to you come out again . Thanks