Monday, August 6, 2012

Really! My Socks?

The present day basketball player is famous for judging your game based on the type of socks that you wear.  Last month at one of my basketball skills camps, I found myself in a conversation about the different basketball socks: quarter socks that you can find at Wal-Mart and  Nike Elite long socks that can be found at stores like Champs & Finish Line.

Call me old school or whatever, but I have a ton of quarter socks because of the two C's. What are the two C’s, cost and comfort.  I don't own a single pair of Nike Elite socks. By the way these socks only run about $12 to $15 dollars for 1 pair.  I guess I am not hip to the socks game.
One of my players comes over and tells me this:  "You know that most people who come to the gym, think that people who wear quarter socks have no game and are GARBAGE!" 


3 mistakes that basketball players make:
1.       They underestimate and overestimate the competition
2.       They underestimate and overestimate their own ability
3.       They don’t have a GO-TO move

So really; my socks and not the hours I train on my shooting and ball handling determine my game? Money, is it the SHOES? No Mars!  Michael Jordan and Mars Blackmon had that conversation years ago.  My question is this: Is it the SOCKS?  Do the type of socks and shoes I wear really make me a better basketball player?

This non-Basketball IQ thought process is a mistake.  It’s a mistake for you to think that you are the only player working on your game.  It’s a mistake to believe that appearance equals the quality of someone’s game.  Pre-judging a ball player could cost you the game if you are not careful.  By the way, Jordan use to wear short socks.  LOL!


Back Court Takeaways
Walk up to a new court looking like Uncle Drew so people underestimate you.  Never judge a ball player by the type of socks he wears, you could find yourself sitting on the sideline.

No comments: